AgentScript is a minimalist Agent Based modeling system based on NetLogo semantics.
It has a Model/View/Control (MVC) architecture which cleanly separates the three components.
- Model: Provides NetLogo-like semantics for Patches, Turtles and Links. It has no colors, shapes, sizes etc for viewing the model.
- View: Use the Model properties to create a view. There can be many Views. We provide a 2D Canvas view and a Three.js 3D view. There is also GIS support via a general gis module, as well as MapBox GL GS support. Plot views are also available.
- Controls: We use dat.gui for a menu UI, a Mouse module for selecting Model objects (Patches, Turtles and Links), an Animator for fine control over the Model/Draw steps.
This allows direct access to individual modules which will automatically load only the module and its dependencies.
Example: to import Class Model for building your own model, use:
import Model from ‘./path/to/agentscript/src/Model.js’
.. where path/to/agentscript is a local file system path or a url to a server:
- local: ./src/Model.js
- agentscript.org: https://agentscript.org/src/Model.js
- unpkg.com: https://unpkg.com/agentscript/src/Model.js
To create your own local agentscript files:
- Go to: https://github.com/backspaces/agentscript
- Click on the large green
- Click on
Download ZIP. The creates the file agentscript-master.zip
- Unzip this. Creates agentscript-master/
- Rename/Move to where you want it.
Our directory layout is:
The core agentscript directories:
- models/: simple sample/demo models. All are es6 modules used in onepagers below
- src/: all the agentscript source code. All are es6 modules
Use of the models in one-page html demos, called “onepagers”
- docs/: tutorial examples
- gis/: Sample gis examples, inserting models into maps
- views2/: 2D Canvas views of all the models/
- views3/: Three.js views of all the models/
- bin/: workflow scripts
- dist/: the umd and esm bundles with their min.js versions and src/.
<script>versions of models/.
Used by legacy models, test/, and workers. test/ uses workers for speed.
- test/: testing in browser for all models/ using Puppeteer
- vendor/: es6 versions of third party libraries used by onepagers.
- workflow/: tools for creating “bundles”.
Note that many of these will be removed as es6 modules fully supported by our dependencies. For example models/scripts will be removed when workers can use import statements in all browsers. Safari, we’re talking about you! Ditto for vendor/ as all dependencies offer es6 modules.
Click on the directory name to see it on github. Click on the individual file names to see them nicely formatted.
Run the demos in the directories mentioned above.
Several tests for accessing README’s. Note models also has an index.html so will run the hello model when pointing at a dir. For that case, this works. models
Absolute URL to READMEs
Relative URL to READMEs
Absolute URL to Dir
Relative URL to Dir
Absolute URL to Github Repo
To clone the github repo:
- cd to where you want the agentscript/ dir to appear.
- git clone https://github.com/backspaces/agentscript
- cd agentscript # go to new repo
- yarn install # install all dev dependencies.
- yarn build # complete the install.
- yarn run build-vendor # build depend
Note: Fine to use npm rather than yarn.
Copyright Owen Densmore, RedfishGroup LLC, 2012-2020
AgentScript may be freely distributed under the GPLv3 license:
AgentScript is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program, see LICENSE within the distribution. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.